The following list of quotations have been taken from the various interviews, speeches, and musings of Steve Jobs. Enjoy them as some of them may really hit home for you and really teach us a fair amount about life, innovation, design, and leadership.
1. "Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.”
2. “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me … Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.
3. “I was worth over $1,000,000 when I was 23, and over $10,000,000 when I was 24, and over $100,000,000 when I was 25, and it wasn’t that important because I never did it for the money.”
4. Bill Gates‘d be a broader guy if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger.”
5. “The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don’t mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don’t think of original ideas, and they don’t bring much culture into their products.”
6. "We made the buttons on the screen look so good you’ll want to lick them.”
7. “A lot of companies have chosen to downsize, and maybe that was the right thing for them. We chose a different path. Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of customers, they would continue to open their wallets.”
8. “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
9. “When I hire somebody really senior, competence is the ante. They have to be really smart. But the real issue for me is, Are they going to fall in love with Apple? Because if they fall in love with Apple, everything else will take care of itself."
10. "Life is brief, and then you die, you know…"
11. "And we’ve all chosen to do this with our lives. So it better be damn good. It better be worth it.”
12. “It’s rare that you see an artist in his 30s or 40s able to really contribute something amazing.”
13. "Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?”
14. "Death is the destination we all share. … It clears out the old to make way for the new.”
15. “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."